109 E. Main
109 E. Main, 5th door east of old Post Office
This 2-story building was built between 1870 and 1885. It is first listed as a harness shop. Enos and Bradfield, carriage dealers, moved into this new location “on the bridge” about 1885, from 206 E. Main where they had located right after that block was constructed in 1873. They sold buggies, carriages, harnesses, whips, horse blankets, implements, and horses. They made a specialty of Ovid (Michigan) and Lansing buggies but carried other standard buggies and goods. In 1900, Brown & Sehler who operated an agricultural implement store in the next storefront to the west purchased the store building and business of Enos and Bradfield. Brown and Sehler continued the business for another 10 years. In 1918, the Sanborn map lists this location as a Pool Hall. Next it became a restaurant. The John Yeiter restaurant was here from 1925-1929 when they sold to Mrs. Florence Lewis of Freeport. Richmond’s Café opened in 1930. Fitzgerald’s Restaurant had an advertisement in the 1936 Showboat Program. Sometimes it is listed as Fitzgerald’s Tavern, or Beer Parlor, or restaurant. It was here at least until 1950. In 1957, “Melvin” D. Bulk purchased Neubecker’s Tavern just 10 months before the fire destroyed Mel’s Tavern. The fire of January 1958 demolished all of the stores pictured up to the old Post Office. It started in Mel’s Tavern from a defective oil heater and spread quickly as the oil and propane tanks on the river side of the buildings exploded. Images: 1918 Map showing the building as a Pool Hall When compared to the Sanborn map, you can see that 109 E. Main was the 2-story building on the left side. It shows 2- story, 1-story, 2-story, 2-story. This Photo was taken in 1905 as a fire was raging to the east. The tall building to the east of the old Post Office is an attractive wooden building in the 1890s. Fitzgerald’s Restaurant ad in the 1936 Showboat program. 109 E. Main was the highest building east of the Old Post Office. There was an apartment on the 2nd floor. Photo, 1957. |