LOWELL AREA HISTORICAL MUSEUM
  • Home
    • Fund Drive
    • Events
    • Summerfest
    • Newsletters
    • Room & Event Rental
  • Exhibits
    • Exhibits
    • Interpretive Board Project
  • Education
    • Teachers
    • Parents
  • Collections & Research
    • Museum Collection
    • Oral Histories
    • ABC's of Lowell
    • Along Main Street
    • Letters Home
    • Missing Along Main Street
    • Historical Topics
    • Genealogy Research
    • Military Form
  • Get Involved
    • Donate
    • Membership
    • Volunteer
    • Internship
  • About Us
  • Store

Did You Know? 

The Pere Marquette Railroad Depot c. 1900. The depot was south of
Main Street and East of Hudson. It was built in 1899.
Picture
In the early 1800's, a village of Ottawa Indians existed a mile and a half north of the Junction of the Flat and Grand Rivers, with Cobmoosa as its chief.
Picture
In 1838, a steamboat, the Paragon, began regular runs between Grand Rapids and Lyons which lies east of Lowell on the Grand River. There was a landing dock in Lowell on the north side of the Grand River, east of the Division Street Bridge.
Picture
Michigan’s first businesswoman operated her fur-trading post near Lowell from 1806 to 1821. Magdalaine La Framboise spent her winters here trading with the Ottawa Indians and summers on Mackinac Island where she had a home.
Picture
The original name for Lowell was Dansville, after a French fur-trader from Detroit named Daniel Marsac who arrived here in 1829, and built a small trading post south of the Grand River directly across from the mouth of the Flat. Later, he bought eighty acres on the east side of the Flat River, platted a portion of it and called it Dansville.
Picture
Henry Ford's first choice for the site of his automobile factory was beside the Flat River in Lowell, Michigan.
Picture
Automated color sorting of beans by use of an electric eye was invented at the C. H. Runciman Company in Lowell.
Picture
Freshwater clams were harvested from the Grand River and buttons were punched from the shells at the button factory in Lowell.
Picture
The city of Lowell today, shows evidence of some of the characteristics of a small town on the one hand and qualities of suburban life on the other. Many residents find this ideal. They enjoy the advantages of living less than twenty miles from Grand Rapids, with its large shopping
Picture

admission

Members, Free
Adults, $3.00
​Seniors $1.50
Children, $1.50
Children under 5, Free
Families, $10.00 max.

Hours

Museum Hours:
Tuesday 1-4pm
Thursday 1-4pm
Saturday 1-4 pm


Contact Us

Lowell Area Historical Museum
325 W. Main Street ~ Lowell, MI 49331
ph: 616.897.7688 

[email protected]
Lowell Area Historical Museum © 2013 • Privacy Policy
  • Home
    • Fund Drive
    • Events
    • Summerfest
    • Newsletters
    • Room & Event Rental
  • Exhibits
    • Exhibits
    • Interpretive Board Project
  • Education
    • Teachers
    • Parents
  • Collections & Research
    • Museum Collection
    • Oral Histories
    • ABC's of Lowell
    • Along Main Street
    • Letters Home
    • Missing Along Main Street
    • Historical Topics
    • Genealogy Research
    • Military Form
  • Get Involved
    • Donate
    • Membership
    • Volunteer
    • Internship
  • About Us
  • Store